Frequently Asked Questions


How do I obtain a copy of my driving record?
Contact the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office in Van Wert at (419) 238-9399, or the Columbus office at (614) 752-7500.
I bought an ATV, can I ride it on the county roads?
It is illegal to ride an ATV on public roadways, anyone caught doing so is subject to arrest.
I need fingerprinted for work when can I do this?
Computerized fingerprinting (web-check) is available at the Van Wert County Sheriffs Office Monday-Friday from 8am-12pm and from 1pm-4pm. The cost is $32.00 for a BCI&I web-check and $32.00 for an FBI web-check. Ink prints are also available for special cases.
What about snow emergencies do we use levels in Van Wert County?
Levels are not used in Van Wert County for snow emergencies. In the event of extremely hazardous weather after determining that extreme emergency conditions exist which present a risk to the health and safety of motorists road crews and emergency responders Sheriff Riggenbach has the legal responsibility to issue a Snow Emergency. This would limit travel to emergency travel only.
What if I feel a dog is vicious or I have received a dog bite and want to file a report?
Contact the Van Wert County Sheriff's Office at (419) 238-3866.
What if I have child custody issues, or I want to get a protection order?
What if I have child custody issues, or I want to get a protection order? A: Protection orders are issued by the court, they are not issued through the Van Wert County Sheriff's Office, contact Crime Victim Services at (419) 238-9800 for assistance.
When are visitation hours at the Van Wert County Correctional Facility?
View the corrections page on our website for visitation hours.
Where do I go to pay a fine or post bond?
For fines, bonds and court contacts, call the Van Wert County Municipal Court at (419) 238-5767, or visit them during business hours at 124 S. Market Street in Van Wert.
Who do I contact about a dog complaint?
For loose dog or general concerns contact the Van Wert County Dog Warden at (419) 238-3866.
Who do I contact for wildlife complaints and concerns?
For wildlife issues contact the County Game & Wildlife Officer at (419) 429-8395 or you may contact the main office of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (419) 424-5000.