After your application has been submitted, Ohio law allows up to 45 days for processing of an application, although we make every effort to complete the process as quickly as possible.
- Be a resident of Ohio for 45 days and a resident of the County (or adjoining county) in which you apply for at least 30 days.
- Be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Complete the Concealed Carry Application Form. (The application form and Ohio Law CCL handbook is available free of charge at the Sheriff's Office.)
- Criminal and mental competency background checks.
- Have completed a certified 8-hour handgun safety course that complies with Ohio Law regarding Concealed Carry Licensing.
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee ($67 for persons who have resided in Ohio for past 5 years. $77 for persons who have not resided in Ohio for past 5 years.)
- Concealed Carry Laws Manual Updated 3/21/2017
- Concealed Carry License and Renewal Application
- Concealed Carry Temporary License Application
Where do I apply for a Concealed Carry License?
At the Sheriff's Office in the county you reside or at a Sheriff's Office in any adjacent county.
Do I need to have my handgun training safety course completed before I apply?
Yes, you must submit your handgun training competency certificate with your application.
How much training do I need?
A minimum of 8 hours, including 2 hours on a firing range, and a written and physical test provided by a certified instructor.
How do I find a licensed instructor?
You can search for a licensed instructor on the Ohio Attorney General's website at www.ag.state.oh.us where you click on the Concealed Carry License link, and then click on the link to search for OPOTC & NRA Certified Concealed Carry Instructors.
Once I start the application process, how long before I get my license?
The law requires the Sheriff to issue a license within 45 days of receipt of a completed application, unless you do not qualify.
How much does the license cost?
The law requires the Sheriff to charge $67 for a person who has resided in Ohio for the past 5 years. If you have not resided in Ohio for the past 5 years, the fee is $77. This fee is paid during the application process.